Carolyn R. Hughes, 83, of Graysville, Pa. died Monday, February 2, 2015 in the Canonsburg General Hospital, Canonsburg, Pa. after being in failing health for the past seven years.
She was born December 20, 1931 in Jackson Twp., Greene County, Pa. a daughter of the late John Clovis and Edna Jane Morris Scott.
Mrs. Hughes had been a resident of Richhill Twp. since 1950 and was a 1949 graduate of the former Center Twp. High School in Rogersville, Pa. and received an Associate degree in music from the former Waynesburg College, and attended the Washington Hospital School of Nursing.
She was a member of the Harmony Presbyterian Church in Wind Ridge where she had served as a pianist, Sunday school teacher, deacon and youth group volunteer. She was a piano instructor in the West Greene area and a volunteer with the Boy Scouts for several years.
Mrs. Hughes enjoyed raising flowers and the time she was able to spend with family and grandchildren.
She was employed at the former Buckheimers Leather Factory in Cameron, W.Va., the former owner and operator of the Bristoria Store and was last employed for 25 years as a secretary for the Department of Natural Resources at Ryerson Station State Park prior to retiring in 1997.
On September 30, 1950 she married Gerald McCracken Hughes who died June 17, 2008.
Surviving are her children, Linda Susan Hughes of Tampa, Fl., Alena, wife of David Harris of Graysville, Julie, wife of Larry Roth of Washington, Dennis, husband of Pam Hughes of Spring Valley, WI. And Jeffrey, husband of Kay Hughes of Graysville; a brother, Gene, husband of Betty Scott of Cameron, W.Va.; 10 grandchildren; eleven great grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.
Deceased in addition to her parents and husband is a brother, Raymond Scott.
At the request of the deceased there will be no public viewing. A gathering of friends will be held from 1 until 2 p.m., the time of a memorial service, Saturday, February 7, 2015 in the Harmony Presbyterian Church at Wind Ridge. The family suggests memorial contributions be made to the Harmony Presbyterian Church, Wind Ridge, Pa. 15380.